Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Treats Day 1: Buttermilk Cookies (Sugar Cut-out Cookies)

I typically don't bake cookies for Christmas, because I make candy trays.  However, last year I decided I wanted to make sugar cut-out cookies with homeade icing.  After trying a few recipes that failed (had NO taste), my Aunt Mary gave me this recipe to try.  They turned out perfectly and had great flavor.


This recipe calls for store-bought buttermilk and they do not turn out if you make your own.  Please keep this in mind if you make some cut-out cookies.

3 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 sticks oleo
½ tsp salt
1½  tsp vanilla
¾ tsp nutmeg
1½  tsp baking powder
1½ cups store-bought buttermilk with 1½ tsp baking soda dissolved in
8-9 cups flour

Cream together sugar, eggs, oleo, and vanilla.  Sift dry ingredients together.  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture along with buttermilk and flour.  Chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.  Roll out and cut.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment